Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Densha Otoko



I've been watching a J-dorama (Japanese soap) named Densha Otoko, literally translated as Train Man. Its a guy meets girl story, except that the guy is a super anime geek, while the girl is rich and cultured. they got to meet when the guy defended the girl from a drunk on a train, and by defend i mean knees shaking and promptly getting his ass kicked. But the main twist of the series is that the guy goes online to ask on tips on how to get the girl. Really.

It really hits home for me because i could really relate to the guy. Not knowing what to do, trembling as he dialed the girl's phone number for the first time, stuttering, being totally clueless, and the huge anime figurine collection in his room (something i wish i had).

I cried a lot watching the series, mostly because the insecurities Densha Otoko had are the same insecurities i used to have, and that i am still having. But at the end, when the people he met online became his closest friends, and he had to say goodbye, it was the most heartwrenching of the series.

Because he made it that far because of his friends. And he knows that. "If there was only one thing in the world i could be proud of, it is this thread, because my friends are here."

I just finished my graduate thesis. And I feel the same way. I could not have made it this far without you guys, i really mean it.

The final (imagined) scene was the girl and the guy on a train as it steamed out of the station, while all of his online friends were on the platform, cheering them on. (I say imagined because they all never got to see each other, they're close friends even if they have not met). And they pulled away into the night.

I feel like my train is leaving now, and all my friends are on the platform, waving me on. I may not have a girl on the train with me, but at least I have you guys.

Thank you so much. I am very blessed to have met all of you. ^_^

2 Comments:

At 6:00 AM, Blogger Dom Cimafranca said...

I would say this was such a gay moment, if it weren't for the fact that I think it such a manly thing for you to say what you just did. Uh, do I sound gay for saying that?

Go, go, go, Great Teacher Mario!

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger jeff said...

Hah! Congratulations, man. Although a thesis shouldn't even be compared to the woman of your dreams. =P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home